Industrial IoT: A Custom IoT Software Platform
How to move from POC to industrial IoT?
Solvay has spent the last few years testing & learning about IoT by using off-the-shelf solutions and developing several Proof of Concepts. But how to move on to the next phase which is about delivering a full industrialized IoT service offer, able to accelerate the deployment of these solutions within the Group, while keeping a high level of security?
To overcome that challenge, Solvay partnered with Witekio to design and build an IoT “factory” that would be a place to accelerate IoT projects in the Group. The aim was to provide several key services to all the Business Units to improve their chance of success for industrialization and return on investment. Witekio was in charge of the first building block of that “factory”: a custom platform to enable cost effective, secured and rapid IoT solutions deployment.
The software challenges:
The Witekio response:
Setting up from the very beginning one Solvay experimental team mixing expert of instrumentation, plant and lab engineers, IT/Telecom specialist, was I think the best choice we ever did.
The team was totally focused on the business value and started by visiting plants & labs to clearly see the business needs. Then, Witekio has been a great technological guide into this IoT world that was new to us and helped us to design and build a scalable and reliable architecture.
Key success factors for the construction of Solvay IoT Platform
- UX and consulting mindset to focus first on business value and user acceptance.
- Both extensive and deep knowledge of embedded and IoT technologies,
- Technology and platform agnostic when selecting the best solution based on the customer’s goals
- High reactivity/flexibility thanks to our multi-national footprint and our flexible business model.
- Perfect fit between customer and Witekio’s teams, both passionate and hands-on!
Key achievements until now
- More than five business cases designed with different business units
- An IoT Lab here to experiment and learn IoT technologies (Azure IoT, Thingworx, Sigfox, Lora, LoraWan, GCP IoT) and use cases
- An IoT platform ready to support the integration of multiple use cases
Preparing the scale phase with selected business units whose ROI potential has been identified as substantial thanks to IoT.
To help think big, act small and scale fast.
Solvay is an advanced materials and specialty chemicals company, committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. Solvay innovates and partners with customers worldwide in many diverse end-markets. Its products are used in planes, cars, batteries, smart and medical devices, as well as in mineral and oil and gas extraction, enhancing efficiency and sustainability.